- Size: 766 sq km
- District: Kabarole
- Geographical location: Western Uganda
- Altitude: From 1,110-1,590 metres above sea level
- Chimpanzee Trekking in Uganda
- Chimpanzee Habituation Experience Uganda (CHEX)
- Birding Uganda
- Forest walks
Chimpanzee Trekking and Habituation in Kibale Forest of Uganda
So far, 375 species of birds have been recorded, but more species are likely to be added. The park has the Green-breasted Pitta as the most sought after species along with others; Chubb’s Cisticola, Black-capped Waxbill, Africa Shrike-flycatcher, African Black-headed Oriole, African Emerald Cuckoo, African Green-pigeon, Black-crowned Tchagra, African Wood Owl,African/Rwenzori/Abyssinian Hill-Babbler, Alpine Swift, Ashy Flycatcher, Barn Swallow, Black Bee-eater, Black Cuckoo, Black Cuckoo-shrike, Black-and-white Casqued Hornbill, Black-and-white Mannikin, Black-and-white Shrike-flycatcher, Black-billed Turaco, Black-billed Weaver, Black-faced Rufous Warbler, African Dusky Flycatcher, Black-headed Weaver, Black-necked Weaver, African Citril (Western Citril), Black-throated Apalis, Blue-shouldered Robin-chat, Blue-throated Brown Sunbird, Blue-throated Roller, African Blue Flycatcher, Bocage’ Bush-shrike, Bronze Mannikin, Zebra Waxbill, Bronze Sunbird, Brown Illadopsis, Brown-capped Weaver, Brown-chested Alethe, Brown-eared Woodpecker, Brown-headed Tchagra, African-pied Wagtail, Cameroon Sombre Greenbul, Brown-throated Wattle-eye, Yellow-billed Barbet, Afep Pigeon, name it.
Kibale Forest Rules
1. Please note that this is not a Zoo but a tropical rainforest, sightings depend on factors such as time of the day fruit availability, weather and others.
2. The maximum number of people per a guided group is 4.
3. The maximum time allowed with the Chimps is one hour. however, the ranger guide has the right to shortened it under circumstances like avoiding stressful moments to the Chimps.
4. Please keep in the group during Chimp Trekking and follow the guide’s directions at all times.
5. Please maintain a distance of 8 meters from the Chimps or the distance that your guide recommends
6. Under no circumstance shall you chase while they descend or walk on a higher ground.
7. You are advised not to enter the forest if you have a communicable sickness as this can put the primates at serious risk
8. Do not eat in the presence of Primates
9. Please avoid shouting in the forest
10. It is advisable to wear long boots that cover your toes and long trousers as there are red ants and slippery trails, also carry along water proof clothing which would be of importance if it rained.
11. Children under 15 years are not allowed to track Chimpanzees.
12. If you need to urinate please do so off the trail system.
13. If nature calls, please bury all faeces and this must be done off the trails
There are educational walks for children who are not allowed to track the chimpanzees.
The park is 360 km away for Kampala; Estimated transit time: 5 hours